Having worked all weekend I’ve barely had time to think about the build, let alone write about it, but I have a spare few minutes now.
After much deliberation (and I’m still not sure we made the right decision) we asked to have the top of the kitchen cupboards reduced in height just enough to fit in the cornice. We think this will fit in with the rest of the house better. It’s not a huge place and we think the square set would have looked a bit out of place. I will miss the sleek modern look of those cupboards though! Sigh.
We also made this decision knowing that the square set cornice was not a “done deal” and arguing back and forth would take time and energy we just don’t have at this point. We have asked for a refund on the extra money we paid to have the height of those cupboards increased in the first place ($430), but we haven’t heard back about whether that will be honored or not yet.
We think the cupboards will take between 3 and 4 weeks to be rebuilt, plus install time, so we have our fingers crossed it won’t push out our guesstimate move in time.
While all that is going on the tile guy has been going slow and steady. The things we know about the tile guy (having never actually met him) is:
- he’s a one man show
- he has not managed to put the wrong tile in the wrong way on the wrong floor (yet) and the work looks fantastic
- he is happy to work around the painters and they don’t mind working around him (we’ve heard that painters and tilers don’t always play nice together).
- he chain smokes. Inside our house. The house reeks of cigarettes. (We are not smokers and the smell drives us mad).
Decorative tiles have arrived
The painters have been busy as well. Our parapet moroka has been painted and after a nervous moment where I thought I was going to hate the colour I’ve decided I like it instead.
Finishing touches have been put on the eaves and cladding over the garage (sorry for the blur).
Bits and pieces of the services have been painted, like the plumbing on the rainwater tank. We’re actually not pleased with the plumbing work here, it didn’t need to stick out as much as it does. Further confirmation that our plumber is a bit lazy.
The laundry door has been painted, as well as our front door. Inside, all the walls and the stair case has been painted.
And we were thoroughly locked out over the weekend so I’ve had to settle for snapping photos of whatever I can through the windows (which are filthy, by the way).
Kitchen bench has arrived!
And so have the bathroom benches and sinks.
Unfortunately that’s where the fun stops because we can’t get inside!
Behind the scenes we’re having all kinds of trouble with the stupid tree that needs removing (long story). We’re also busy getting quotes for things like dirt, turf and haven bricks to guesstimate how much the landscaping will cost us. Because we haven’t filled every square cm of the block with our house, our neighbour’s builders have been using our back yard as a thoroughfare. That means we’re going to have to add quite a bit of fill. $$$$