After sleeping on it, here is the polite version what we would like to say to the DRP.
- Yes, we know we’re supposed to dress the corners of the house, that’s why we’ve asked for cladding to wrap around the house. Your preferred builder, whom we selected because you told us they would have the best idea on how to meet the guidelines, neglected to put that on the plans. Also, did you not notice the parapet? The useless piece of brickwork that we added just for you? If this does not count towards corner treatment then why are we paying for it? And, I’m assuming street surveillance does not mean installing cameras.
- Fencing, as we’ve been informed by your preferred builder, is not part of building a house but is part of the landscaping. As such, you can wait until the landscaping plan (which is costing us $850) is drawn to see where the fence will go.
- Cladding again.
- So, we must have changes in materials/colours, just not on the corners? Ok. Got it. ???? I bet this wouldn’t be a problem if the CLADDING was on the plans.
- If your preferred builder had given us two seconds to review the plans before they sent them to you, we would have told them to change the FC sheeting to a nicer looking CLADDING, which would have concealed joints.
- This is the one that really boiled James’ blood- he would like to know how the bathroom window is supposed to not look like a bathroom window when we install a larger window with clear glazing? You’ll be able to see people using the toilet from the street. Go figure.
- The driveway dimensions actually meet your guidelines. Our block is large in comparison to the size of the house we’re putting on it and there are no other paved areas. But, you’d still like it to be smaller? The driveway is just large enough to drive two cars into the garage. Actually, you’re guidelines say we must provide two car spaces. How do we make it smaller?
- If I have to put all these windows in, where do I put the bed? Also, is it really that necessary to add extra cross ventilation to rooms that are about 3.5 x 3.5 m?
- Oh, so the bathroom windows have to be clear glazing, but the eastern window of the upper lounge is to be obscure glazing to minimise privacy impacts? Silly me! How could I get those mixed up?
- The clothesline is not to be visible from the street over the side fence. Seeing as you won’t let me put in a higher fence I’d better install the clothesline inside the house then. Suddenly I know what all that cross ventilation is for!
- Thanks for supplying us with the guideline about the driveway again. We definitely missed it the first time. Did you notice we comply?
What we’re actually going to do:
James is going to call the DRP and get clarification on a few of these points. Then he is going to call Wisdom and organise a time for us to go over it all.